Guided Walking Tour
Kilcredaun Guided Walking Tour
We start at the Irish college named after the 19th century scholar Eugene O Curry who hailed from the neighboring parish of Doonaha and was instrumental in transcripting the annals of the four masters from Gaelic to English.
From there we cross a few fields to the first of two 11th century churches with intact burial crypts for the nobility.
Next up we find ourselves overlooking the Shannon from the artillery battery built by the English to prevent a French invasion in early 1800. By the time it was finished the war was over. Along side the battery is the tomb of St Credaun. Just to the front of the battery you can make out the wreckage of Okeanos which went aground in 1947. Some say it was scuttled for insurance money, nobody lost their lives and a good time was had by all.
From there we head up to the other light house on the peninsula from where you can see why the light house was so important. All around us are sunken bogs and in times of flooding Kilcredaun can become an island. From here we stroll back to the college, and perhaps a spot of lunch @ the Long Dock in Carrigaholt.
- All our guided walking tours require at least 5 people to start. You will receive an email to confirm if the tour goes ahead.
- If we don’t reach the minimum amount of participants we will offer you an alternative date or we will fully refund your fees.
- Optional extras like a packed lunch, gourmet picnic, transport from your accommodation or an overnight stay at the Stella Maris Hotel in Kilkee are available. Please click here to inquire before booking.
- You can cancel your booking up to 2 weeks before the tour date.
- We offer reduction to groups larger then 15 people. To get this reduction click here and fill in the form. We will send you a coupon code that gives a 10% reduction of the total price.
- Wear sturdy boots.
- A waterproof jacket is essential for Irish weather.
- A light ruck sack is also handy for carrying water and other personal items.
- Although all of our walks are very doable a certain level of fitness and stamina is required especially on the Goleen and Loop Head Walk.
- Our walking tours are not suitable for children younger then 7 years.
- You can not bring a pet with you on our walking tours.
- All our tours start and finish at the Stella Maris Hotel in Kilkee
- Experienced walking guide
- Off the beaten tracks walks
- Public Liability Insurance
The following optional extras can be arranged for you or your group. Please click here to inquire before booking.
- A packed lunch on all our walking tours.
- A picnic to be set up at the half way stage of our longer walks (Baltard and Loop Head).
- Some of our walks have spectacular swimming coves hidden away from public view especially the Baltard Walk and the Cusheen Walk. On these we advise bringing your swim wear, weather permitting.
- For anyone wishing to visit some of our destinations on bikes by road we can arrange for eBike hire (local bike hire company) to facilitate you, we can also provide you with a picnic lunch on your excursion.
- Check out some of the other adventures and services Loop Head has to offer.
- We can arrange pickup by taxi to and from the starting/end point of our walks from your accommodation.
- We can arrange accommodation in Kilkee’s Stella Maris Hotel.